Kiss the Girls is a 1997 American thriller and the very first Alex Cross film, based on the best-selling novel Kiss the Girls by James Patterson. The film was directed by Gary Fleder and stars Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes and Ashley Judd. It was released on October 3rd, 1997.
Washington, D.C. detective and forensic psychologist Alex Cross (Morgan Freeman) heads to Durham, North Carolina when his niece Naomi (Gina Ravera), a college student, is reported missing. He learns from the local police, including Nick Ruskin (Cary Elwes), that Naomi is the latest in a series of young women who have vanished. Soon after his arrival, one of the missing women is found dead, bound to a tree in a desolate forest, and shortly after that, intern Kate McTiernan (Ashley Judd) is kidnapped from her home.
When she awakens from a drugged state, Kate discovers that she is being held captive by a masked man calling himself Casanova, and she is one of several prisoners trapped in his lair. She manages to escape and is severely injured when she jumps from a cliff and into a river to escape from his clutches. After she recuperates, she joins forces with Cross to track down her sadomasochist captor, who Cross concludes is a collector, not a killer, unless his victims fail to follow his rules. This means there is time to rescue the other imprisoned women, just as long as they remain subservient.
Clues lead them to Los Angeles, where a series of gruesome kidnappings and murders have been credited to a man known as the Gentleman Caller. Cross deduces he is working in collusion with rather than imitating his East Coast counterpart, but his efforts to capture and question him are foiled and the man escapes. Upon returning to North Carolina, he eventually discovers the underground hideaway used by, as well as the true identity of, the man who calls himself Casanova.
- Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross
- Ashley Judd as Dr. Kate McTiernan
- Cary Elwes as Det. Nick Ruskin / Casanova
- Alex McArthur as Det. Davey Sikes
- Bill Nunn as Det. John Sampson
- Jeremy Piven as Det. Henry Castillo
- Brian Cox as Durham P.D. Chief Hatfield
- Jay O. Sanders as FBI Agent Kyle Craig
- Tony Goldwyn as Dr. William Rudolph / Gentleman Caller
- William Converse-Roberts as Dr. Wick Sachs
- Roma Maffia as Dr. Ruocco
- Richard T. Jones as Seth Samuel
- Gina Ravera as Naomi Cross
- Heidi Schanz as Megan Murphy
- Tatyana Ali as Janelle Cross
- Anna Maria Horsford as Mrs. Vicki Cross
- Helen Martin as Nana Cross